Free Tax Preparation Service
Call between January 13 and April 9 to set up your FREE appointment!
Our tax program is a high quality, free tax preparation and information service provided by trained, IRS-certified community volunteers.
AVAILABLE TO HOUSEHOLDS WITH INCOMES LESS THAN $52,000
(or individuals with incomes less than $20,000)
OR THOSE 60 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER!
For the seventh year, we are partnering with AARP and Impact Alabama to offer our Free Tax Program. This service was created to assist families in several ways:
free tax preparation saves each family an average of $300 in fees.
many families do not know they are eligible for tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit.
families receive their funds fast so that refund anticipation loans with high interest rates can be avoided.
If you have made an appointment, or are planning on making an appointment, you will need to bring the following items with you:
- A copy of last year's state and federal tax return
- Photo ID
- Social Security cards for each person to be listed on the return
- All 2014 income-related documents, such as:
- Unemployment compensation statements
- Form 1098
- Form 1099
- Brokerage statements showing the cost basis and date purchased for all securities (stocks and bonds)
- Proof of insurance
- All medical expenses, including:
- Doctor expenses
- Dental prescriptions
- Insurance premiums
- Miles driven in connection with medical appointments
- Charitable contributions
- A record of home mortgage and tax payments
- Personal property taxes, including:
- Auto tag receipts
- Taxes paid on major purchases
- A check with your name printed on it showing bank account and routing numbers
- Information from the IRS regarding 2014 State Tax Refund (for the 2013 tax year)
Also, if you have 'out-of-state' income, please let us know in advance so that particular state can be added to our system so you will not have to come back for a second appointment.
Thank you to these sponsors for funding the free tax program in 2017: